Return to the City of Greater Geraldton home page

Snapshot - Businessman Captured Precious Moments in Time

Published: Tuesday, 12 May 2020 at 10:45:27 AM

A lone young girl sitting on the platform of Geraldon's first railway station on western Marine Terrace was one of many invaluable now historic photographs taken by local businessman Thomas deLucy (1850-1932).


Photography was Mr deLucy's hobby and he would often take photos of people and their activities and later screen them at a magic lantern show in one of the local halls, to the surprise and delight of the subjects and audience.


When the first railway station was operational, the railway line ran down the middle of Marine Terrace. Over time it was replaced by the second station almost opposite the Court House and the rail line was removed from the main street.


The Geraldton Working Men's Society leased the original railway station to conduct a public library and added a second storey to the building.


The Society changed its name to the Geraldton Mechanic's Institute and later again to the Geraldton Cultural Trust before moving out of the original railway building to The Residency further west in Marine Terrace.


The station building was converted to a local regional museum and years later underwent an extensive refit to open as the popular Geraldton Visitors Centre.


Image courtesy of the Geraldton Historical Society, caption by Neville Thompson.


Snapshots is an initiative of the Geraldton Regional Library. For more information, or to donate a historical photo or slide to the Library, contact Heritage Services at the Geraldton Regional Library on 9956 6659 or library@cgg.wa.gov.au

Original Railway Station

P 14152

Back to All News

Our Partners

WA Library Museum of Geraldton