Return to the City of Greater Geraldton home page

Snapshot - Demo With A View (Christ Church)

Published on Tuesday, 5 January 2021 at 8:59:18 AM

Demo With A View (Christ Church) by Tanya Henkel

“Mate, we’ve got the best view in town!” One can just imagine these workers soaking up the view of Champion Bay from their vantage point atop the steeply pitched roof of Christ Church, located in the heart of Marine Terrace. Taking a break from their demolition work, Keith, Ray and Chris had just found a bee hive in the roof space while removing shingles, adding to the precarious nature of their elevated activities.
94 years earlier, in 1868 the first Bishop of Perth, Rev. Mathew Hale D.D., travelled by schooner to lay the foundation stone of Christ Church, the second church to be built in Geraldton after the nearby Methodist Church. Local Geraldton architect and builder William Trigg was responsible for the design and construction of the new landmark building which featured two tall turrets either side of a decorative rendered façade. Sadly, by 1950 the church was showing signs of disrepair and the turrets were removed for safety reasons. With the condition of the church worsening, the last service was conducted in October 1962. The decision to demolish the first Anglican Church in Geraldton was probably made easier by the fact that the new Anglican Cathedral of the Holy Cross was under construction to the south along Cathedral Avenue, opening 2 years later.
The site of Christ Church at 133 Marine Terrace presently accommodates Bankwest.
Photo Caption: Demolition of Christ Church, 1962. L-R: Keith Cunningham, Ray Reynolds & Chris Warwick
Image courtesy of Ray Reynolds, caption by Tanya Henkel.
Snapshots is an initiative of the Geraldton Regional Library. For more information, or to donate a historical photo or slide to the Library, contact Heritage Services at the Geraldton Regional Library on 9956 6659 or library@cgg.wa.gov.au

P 1161 Christ Church

Image number: P 1161

Back to All News

Our Partners

WA Library Museum of Geraldton