The Geraldton Regional Library holds a comprehensive collection of some 400 Oral History interviews featuring local residents.
All recordings are in CD format and are available for loan from the Library. Some digital Oral Histories are available for download through Overdrive. Copies of discs are also available for purchase.
Oral History recordings can be searched for through the Library Catalogue. The State Library of WA also holds copies of many of our Oral Histories, which can be listened to via the SLWA catalogue.
Yamaji Oral History
View a slide show presentation which includes live interviews with Charmaine Green, Graham Taylor and Joan Gray. The interviews were conducted by Nola Gregory and Trudi Cornish during Reconciliation Week 2015.
Mining in the Mid West
Since the mid 1800's mining has played a significant role in the development of the Mid West. Hear some Mining Stories from the people who lived them. To learn more, read "Mining in the Mid West" by Mary Callaghan, for sale or loan from the Geraldton Regional Library.
Original Railway Station - Oral History Project
The original Geraldton Railway Station (now the Visitor Centre) occupies a beautiful heritage building that has had many uses over the years. Built as Western Australia’s first Government Railway Station, the foundation stone was laid on the 21 August 1878. With the discovery of gold in the Murchison, a new Railway Station was built off Durlacher Street and the old Railway Station was given a new use. On 8 August 1900 it became the Geraldton Mechanic’s Institute Library, with a second storey added in 1908. The new design allowed for a spacious balcony and superb view of the town and Champion Bay.
Many locals used the Library over the years, including renowned Geraldton born author Randolph Stow, who immortalised the building in his semi-autobiographical work, The Merry-Go-Round in the Sea. In 1975, the Library was shifted to a new location and in 1979 the old Railway building was handed over to the WA Museum. When the WA Museum relocated to its new premises in 2000, the old Railway Station building lay vacant for many years. Its recent restoration and conversion into the City of Greater Geraldton Visitor Centre marks the beginning of an exciting new era for this grand old building.
For more information about the original Railway Station building, copies of the booklet Original Railway Station – Geraldton by Gary Martin or The Original Railway Station Geraldton Oral History Collection (Audio and transcript) may be purchased from the Visitor Centre or Geraldton Regional Library. This project was a finalist in the State Heritage Awards 2015.
The Geraldton Mechanic's Institute Library was formally opened in the old Railway Station premises in 1900 and remained there until 1975. Hear about the old Library from the last Librarian to work in this building Tui Allen
|Library customers are invited to use the Listening Post set up in Heritage Service