Return to the City of Greater Geraldton home page

Snapshot - Cathedral Stands Alone

Published on Tuesday, 2 February 2021 at 9:40:08 AM

Cathedral Stands Alone by Lorin Cox

The angle by which this photograph was taken depicts a lonely cathedral standing tall amongst native shrub land, much of which now makes up the luscious lawns of Maitland Park. St Francis Xavier Cathedral was not without company though buildings at that time were rather sparse. Just outside the boundary of the image sits Stella Maris College (now Nagle Catholic College) and the newly constructed Geraldton Secondary College is located a short “Coooeee away. This image was taken in 1939 which is the same year that Geraldton Secondary College was officially opened. 

Priests residing within the Diocese of Geraldton at that time (as reported in the Geraldton Guardian & Express) included Rev. Father Byrne (Yalgoo), Rev. Father Anthony (Tardun), Rev. Father Gallagher, Rev. Father Sharry (Wiluna), Rev. Father Alford (Cue), Rev. Father Halpin (Mt. Magnet), Rev. Father Lynch (Three Springs), Rev. Father Albert (Dongarra), Rev. Father O’Mahony (Northampton), the Rt. Rev. Monsignor Hawes (Greenough), as well as, Rev. Father Prendergast (St. John of God Hospital). The Bishop of Geraldton; Bishop O’Collins often hosted gatherings, however, on occasion access from the regional areas was challenging due to difficult weather conditions including severe floods. 

Photo Caption: St Francis Xavier Cathedral 1939, Austin Collection courtesy of Sandra Playle. 

Image courtesy of Sandra Playle, caption by Lorin Cox. 

Snapshots is an initiative of the Geraldton Regional Library. For more information, or to donate a historical photo or slide to the Library, contact Heritage Services at the Geraldton Regional Library on 9956 6659 or library@cgg.wa.gov.au 

St Francis Xavier Cathedral

Image number: P 10854

Back to All News

Our Partners

WA Library Museum of Geraldton