Return to the City of Greater Geraldton home page

Snapshot - Bluff Point Lighthouse

Published on Tuesday, 8 February 2022 at 11:50:00 AM

Bluff Point Lighthouse by Stan Gratte

Before the Point Moore Lighthouse, shipping movement relied on the old limestone lighthouse almost on the beach at Bluff Point. Built by William Trigg and first lit on the 23rd October 1876, the site also included the Lighthouse Keepers Quarters and another light tower 300 metres inland. It was a demanding job being a Lighthouse Keeper in those days, with the kerosene lamps to be kept burning from sundown to sunup. This photograph of the old Lighthouse was believed to have been taken in the 1890's. On the 24th April 1952, smoke coming out of the Lighthouse was noticed by neighbours. The fire brigade was quickly called but with no scheme water to the area and with heavy sands bogging their new truck, there was little that could be done. The doors, stairs and tower were of wood, 80 years old, and burnt rapidly. Following the fire, acetylene light was used as an emergency beacon until electric lights were installed. Sadly, history had been lost. A memorial bench seat and plinth coordinated by the Geraldton Historical Society (GHS) mark the site of the original lower light tower. The Lightkeepers Cottage still continues in use as a Museum after the GHS was permitted to utilise the premises over 50 years ago.

Caption by Stan Gratte.

Snapshots is an initiative of the Geraldton Regional Library. For more information, or to donate a historical photo or slide to the Library, contact Heritage Services at the Geraldton Regional Library on 9956 6659 or library@cgg.wa.gov.au

Bluff Point Lighthouse

Photo caption: Bluff Point Lighthouse, approximately 1890, courtesy of E. A. Trigg.

Image number: P 938

Back to All News

Our Partners

WA Library Museum of Geraldton