Return to the City of Greater Geraldton home page

Snapshot - Victoria District Hospital

Published on Thursday, 26 November 2020 at 10:48:11 AM

Taking the opportunity to celebrate this beautiful old building and the history of this site in its entirety. Firstly, the site was frequented by Aboriginal People, most likely on their way to Jambinbirri (Champion Bay) to access the plentiful supply of natural resources. The complex which plays host to the old Victoria District Hospital, pictured here in c1900 has served a number of purposes over the years. Buildings initially began appearing on this site in 1850 to host a Convict Depot. In 1864 services expanded to include a Colonial Hospital. From which time the site evolved and buildings were re-purposed to become a Gaol, Isolation Hospital, Old Men’s Home, Geraldton Public Hospital and Geraldton Regional Prison. From 1984-1988 the site was in transition being utilised for a number of minor uses before becoming the Bill Sewell Community Recreation Complex. The importance of this site cannot be disputed as the many services provided here were a major factor contributing to the liveability for early settlers in new Geraldton.

Image courtesy of A. C. Burns, caption by Lorin Cox.

Snapshots is an initiative of the Geraldton Regional Library. For more information, or to donate a historical photo or slide to the Library, contact Heritage Services at the Geraldton Regional Library on 9956 6659 or library@cgg.wa.gov.au

Victoria District Hospital

P 925

Back to All News

Our Partners

WA Library Museum of Geraldton